What is ESE/ IES ?
Indian Engineering Services comprise of engineers who work under the government of India and designated as Class – 1 officer. They administer a large segment of the public sector economy, which constitutes of Indian Railways, Power, Telecommunications, Central Water engineering, Defence service of Engineers, Central Engineering Service, etc. The nature of work performed by these bureaucrats largely depends on their engineering branch and the service or cadre they are recruited in. The career progression goes smoothly attaining high esteem. The first position offered is that of Asst. Executive engineer and the hierarchy ends at the position of Chairman/ Managing Director.
A combined competitive examination is conducted by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the Indian Engineering Services. The Examination constitutes of a written examination followed by an interview for the personality test. The recruitment of qualified candidates is made under the following categories:
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
ESE 2019 Eligibility
A candidate must be either:
(a) A citizen of India or
(b) A subject of Nepal or A subject of Bhutan or
(c) A Tibetan refugee who came over to Indian before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently
settling in India or
(d) A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of
Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with
the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above shall be a person in whose favor a
certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
(II) Age Limits:
- A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st August, of the exam year.
- The upper age-limit of 30 years will be relaxable up to 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories, if they are employed in a Department/Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below and apply for admission to the examination for all or any of the Service(s)/Posts mentioned in column 2, for which they are otherwise eligible.
- The upper age-limit prescribed above will be further relaxable:
(i) Upto a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a scheduled caste or a scheduled tribe.
(ii) Upto a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to OBC category.
(iii) Upto a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the state of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from 1st January, 1980 to the 31st day of December, 1989.
(iv) Upto a maximum of three years in the case of defence service personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area, and released as a consequence thereof.
(v) Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st August, and have been released (i) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year from 1st August) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or (ii) on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service or (iii) on invalidment; (vi) Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Services as on 1st August, and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and they will be released on three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
(vii) Upto a maximum of 10 years in the case of blind, deaf-mute and Orthopaedically handicapped persons.
(III) Minimum Educational Qualifications:
- Obtained a degree in Engineering from a university incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as universities under section-3 of the university grants commission act, 1956 or
- Passed Section A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India) or
- Obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time or
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India) or
- Passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India or
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959
Provided that a candidate for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts and Engineer Group ‘A’ in Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing/Monitoring Organization) may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely: M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
ESE 2019 Exam Pattern
|Paper – I||Objective||General Studies
|2 hours||200 marks|
|Paper – II||Objective||Engineering
|3 hours||300 marks|
|Paper – I||Conventional||Engineering
Discipline – I
|3 hours||300 marks|
|Paper – II||Conventional||Engineering
Discipline – II
|3 hours||300 marks|
Retail Price:₹ 275.00/- Price:₹ 220.00/- BUY NOW Description This book aims to inculcate the objective approach of study required in these subjects too. Solving the questions contained in this book and then referring to standard books if there is any doubt will make General Study an interesting read. This book essentially provides the candidates with […]
Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW Description More Details About ESE 2018: Mains Examination: Electrical Engineering Conventional Paper – I General Information Author(s) Made Easy Editorial Board Publisher Made Easy Publications ISBN 9789351473053 Pages 364 Binding Paperback Language English Publish Year September 2017 Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW (Visited 12 times, 1 […]
Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW Need Help!! Click Here Description More Details About ESE 2018: Mains Examination: Electrical Engineering Conventional Paper – II General Information Author(s) Made Easy Editorial Board Publisher Made Easy Publications ISBN 9789351473060 Pages 508 Binding Paperback Language English Publish Year September 2017 Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW […]
Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW Description More Details About ESE 2018: Mains Examination: E & T Engineering Conventional Paper – I General Information Author(s) Made Easy Editorial Board Publisher Made Easy Publications ISBN 9789351473039 Pages 450 Binding Paperback Language English Publish Year September 2017 Retail Price:₹ 700.00/- Price:₹ 546.00/- BUY NOW (Visited 9 […]